Today is Veteran's Day. I have the day off, since I am working for Veteran's while I go to school. I needed to get a few "supplemental" groceries at the store, so I went. I saw a Vietnam Veteran there with his wife, and stopped him, and thanked him for his service. He accepted my thanks, but seemed a little uncomfortable and quickly scooted off with his wife. That was our exchange.
Anyone ever had a situation like that? Everyone says "thank a veteran" on Veteran's Day. That's easier said than done, right? I mean, its always a little nerve-wracking to go up to a complete stranger and give them your heartfelt gratitude. Often, they act like they don't want to be thanked, and you end up feeling red faced and foolish.....
As a veteran myself, I get thanked every now and then for my service. At first, I was very uncomfortable with it. Don't get me wrong; I appreciated every person who thanked me, but since I never saw combat and was injured before I felt like I could really do anything valuable for my country, I often felt like I didn't deserve it. But I am slowly and surely coming to grips with my own journey and my own story, and now I find it much easier to accept someone's thanks.
Working with the Veterans' Service Office, I can't begin to recount the stories I've heard about the veterans who come to us for help. Long after they step off the battlefield, they pay the price. Though some may seem reluctant to talk about their service, or even accept your thanks, thank them anyway. Not because its easy or comfortable, but because its the right thing to do. Who knows? That veteran who you thank and seemed not to exactly "relish" the attention, may sit at home later that evening and think of what you said and find some comfort in it, some feeling that their contributions to our nation and our freedom haven't been forgotten or taken for granted.
So thank a veteran...any day of the year.
Happy Veterans Day
1 comment:
Totally agree Lil' sis.
Post a Comment