February 14th 2010
Yes my blogging buddies….its been since Christmas since we last spoke…and yes, it’s a little embarrassing to see that I still have an ode to Charles Dickens two months after I wrote it. However, 2010 did not start out as “marvelous” as 2009 was, in fact, I remember crying in the New Year. 2009 was my year of comfort…so many good things happened to me, that it will go down in history as a blessed year. I received my military financial aid benefits, was finally working while going to school, my nephew was born…I met Nathaniel….well, about that last part….
Me and Nathaniel. As 2010 began, Nathaniel and I seemed to be coming to an end. Strange to be writing something about lost love on Valentines Day, but whether it was the distance between us or something else, events began to unfold that seemed insurmountable….I didn’t think we’d make it. But 2010 hasn’t left me in the lurch yet. It seems to be my year of challenges: it’s a deeper, more mature year than 2009, but its already asking more from me, and just possibly, might give me even greater rewards.
The truth is that love is tough. It is a series of choices and gut wrenching decisions. Does fairy tale love exist? Perhaps, but when you think about it, most fairy tale princesses had a pretty rough go of it before they were finally able to be with their true loves. Nathaniel and I had trust broken between us,but with a lot of prayer and soul searching, I found that forgiveness goes a long way to healing wounds. And I love him….deeply. So on this Valentines Day, I have a Valentine and its not a silly sentimental feeling, but a deeply profound love.
In fact, I just left my valentine a few hours ago. He had pulled into port in Florida and managed to grab a weekend off, so I flew down to see him and we went to Disney World. We hadn’t seen each other in almost six months, and we went through periods of awkwardness, happiness, sorrow, anger, and raw emotion. In the end, it turned out to be one of the best weekends of my life, because I have a second chance with my love. That is a blessing.
What trip to Disney World would be complete without a Cinderella story? Here is mine: I am typing this on my netbook from seat 6A on United Flight 21 to Denver. Seat 6A???/ Why yes, dear readers….that just happens to be in first class. United has begun selling upgraded economy seats for about $50, and given the fact that I need all the leg room I can get with my army knees, I inquired about an upgrade, which was available. I handed the gate clerk $50, which he promptly gave back to me and told me to keep. Already very pleased, I had ticket in hand, was scanned through, and was mere seconds away from walking out of the terminal, when I heard, “Passenger Rickey, please return to the gate counter….unbelievable…could it be???? I promptly turned tail, and the gate counter agent took my ticket, tore it up, and handed me a first class ticket at no charge…..dumbfounded! NEVER have I EVER been upgraded to first class. It has been such a wonderful treat. I have had two cups of tea, and a cup of coffee (in a REAL cup) as well as a full dinner and desert, free headphones, tons of legroom…..all I can say is it rates up there with the top ten experiences of my life, and was made even more special by the fact that I was only seconds away from missing the page back to the gate J But the best part was the warm nuts upon takeoff. Sometimes, God hands you little gifts, just because….and 2010, keep challenging me, because I think I am ready for you.
Happy Valentine’s Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment